This tutorial will walk you through a step by step guide to flash the AE-CLOUD2 S5D9 board with the factory default image. After completing this tutorial, your board will be ready to connect to Medium One Prototyping Sandbox for Renesas Kits.
METHOD 1: WINDOWS BATCH FILE PROGRAMMING
- If SEGGER J-Link software has not been installed, please download the latest version from the link below:https://www.segger.com/downloads/jlink/#J-LinkSoftwareAndDocumentationPack
- Unzip “AE-CLOUD2_M1_Image.zip” file. It will create a directory to contain the followings files
- Use a Micro USB cable to connect a USB port on PC to Micro USB (J6) on Pillar Board as shown below.
- Open a command prompt window and change directory where “..\S5D9” is located. Type “S5D9_M1” at the prompt and a batch file will be executed.
- Or use mouse to double click to “S5D9_M1.bat” to launch “S5D9_M1” batch file.And another command window will be created with the following info indicating status of flash programming.
METHOD 2: MANUAL GUI BASED PROGRAMMING
The screenshots included in this tutorial are taken from a Mac computer, but are very similar to those you would observe on a Windows computer.
HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED TO GET STARTED:
- Renesas Synergy AE-CLOUD2 Kit (Order Here)
- Computer (tested with Windows and Mac)
- SEGGER J-Link Software – download
- Factory binary – download
STEP 1: INSTALL J-LINK SOFTWARE
The software needed for this tutorial is available at this link:
Download and install the software.
STEP 2: ASSEMBLE HARDWARE COMPONENTS
The hardware components you will need for this tutorial are the S5D9 Pillar MCU Board, and a USB cable.
STEP 3: CONNECT BOARD TO COMPUTER
Plug one end of the USB cable into the DBG USB port (not the USB USB port). Plug the USB cable into your computer. Windows will automatically install the J-Link driver. No driver is necessary on Mac.
STEP 4: DOWNLOAD BINARY
Get the file aecloud2-m1.srec. (download page). Save this file to a location that you can easily find later. You will need this file when you use J-Link in the next step.
STEP 5: TRANSFER BINARY TO BOARD WITH J-FLASH LITE
Start J-Flash Lite. You may see the notice below. Press “OK”.
Select the three dots to the start the process of finding your device.
Select Renesas from the drop-down menu. Use the right scroll bar to move through the targets and find R7FS5D97E.
Under Interface, select SWD.
The speed is not critical. 4000 will work.
Under Data File, select the three dots and find the binary you downloaded previously.
Press Program Device.
The file will be downloaded from your computer onto your S5D9 board.
You may see log messages like this:
Downloading C:\Users\craig\Documents\Renesas\AE-CLOUD2\aecloud2-m1.srec to R7FS5D97E via SWD-Interface@4000kHz
Programming Thread started.
Device “R7FS5D97E” selected.
Found SWD-DP with ID 0x5BA02477
Found SWD-DP with ID 0x5BA02477
AP-IDR: 0x24770011, Type: AHB-AP
AHB-AP ROM: 0xE00FF000 (Base addr. of first ROM table)
Found Cortex-M4 r0p1, Little endian.
FPUnit: 6 code (BP) slots and 2 literal slots
Debugger initialized successfully.
J-Link: Flash download: Flash programming performed for 2 ranges (655360 bytes)
J-Link: Flash download: Total time needed: 6.438s (Prepare: 0.127s, Compare: 0.093s, Erase: 0.000s, Program: 6.143s, Verify: 0.066s, Restore: 0.007s)
Programming Thread exited
Restart the board. Congratulations, you’re done!